Calais children 'at greater risk than ever', charity warns

French authorities declare the Calais migrant camp empty

French authorities close Calais camp

Demolition crews used diggers to flatten surviving Jungle buildings yesterday as police launched special patrols to ensure migrants were not setting up breakaway camps nearby.

The camp is by no means empty, contrary to what French authorities have announced.

Home Secretary Amber Rudd has reminded French authorities of their duty to "properly protect" children, amid reports that youngsters were forced to sleep rough around the smouldering remains of the camp. "We've been standing here for hours and have been pushed up the road", Sang said.

"There's never been a more risky time for children to be alone in the 'Jungle, '" Sang said.

Charity Save the Children, said it remained "extremely concerned" about children who had not been registered and left with nowhere to go.

"Children have been completely misinformed at every step and many have yet to be given safe and secure accommodation by the French state", Ben Teuten from the camp's Refugee Youth Service said in a statement.

Authorities told Save the Children that anyone not wearing a wristband indicating they'd been registered would face arrest, including children.

As part of the evacuation works, more than 200 children and adolescents with relatives in the United Kingdom were taken to that country and another large group is waiting for their cases to be approved, so the rumor that all minors will have the same fate has spread.

The demolition began Monday.

The UK government has committed to take unaccompanied children from The Jungle who have family ties in Britain, as well as considering the cases of other unaccompanied minors without family connections.

A handful of older teens, aged 14 to 17, have already been transferred, a Home Office spokesperson said last week. "Our mission is accomplished and it is now time for the migrants to start a new chapter as they begin a new life", Calais prefect Fabienne Buccio said Wednesday.

Latest News