Three people have been killed in an early morning house fire in Brampton.
Friends have identified the victims as University of Guelph student Amina Kapadia, 19, her parents, Jyoti and Iftekhar, and little sister Zoya, who suffered third-degree burns and smoke inhalation and was in critical but stable condition in Toronto's Sick Kids Hospital Tuesday afternoon.
It happened at a home on Madison Street near Dixie Road and Williams Parkway shortly after 4 a.m.
"We are unsure if there were any working smoke alarms".
Five fire trucks initially responded to the call and when crews arrived on scene, flames could be seen coming through a front window.
It took fire crews about 10 minutes to get it under control, Clark said. "Nevertheless, this should be a reminder to everyone the need to have working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms", Clark said.
Raman Brar said by the time she left her house at 5:30 a.m. the fire was already out, only smoke billowing from the house two doors down.
Brampton Fire, Peel regional police and the Ontario Fire Marshal are investigating.
"Fire spreads very rapidly and in this case, three people were trapped in the house". He said it appeared the fire started on the main floor in the living room.
It's the latest in a string of deadly house fires in Ontario over the last few months. Police say the man returned to the bank to withdraw more money the following day but RBC had confirmed the cheque was fraudulent and cops were waiting.