The decision was part of an "ongoing comprehensive review" of security measures at the White House and its surrounding grounds, the agency said.
The stretch of pavement along the south fence has been closed each night - between 11pm and 6am - since 2015. Last week, the administration announced that it would no longer release visitor logs from the White House, Trump Tower, or the president's Mar-a-Lago resort-prompting the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and the watchdog group Public Citizen to question what Trump was trying to hide.
The Trump administration has permanently shut down public access to the sidewalk outside of the south fence of the White House, among other restrictions, USA Today reported Wednesday. "For us being the people, and this being our house, I think we should be able to get as close as possible", said Michelle Crawford, a tourist from Mississippi.
The changes, which went into effect Wednesday at 11 p.m., will prevent the public from accessing the sidewalk, roadways and the grounds between the south fence line and E Street NW between West Executive Avenue and East Executive Avenue, the agency said. Those restrictions have been in place between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. each day since 2015.
The restriction comes after a high-profile incident when an intruder breached security and wandered around the White House grounds for 16 minutes before being arrested.
The closure follows several recent incidents of incursions into the White House grounds by trespassers who have managed to scale the White House fence.
Officials said blocking-off the pavement will not obstruct the public's ability to view or photograph the White House and its grounds and said no additional "physical" barriers would be installed.