After non-stop back-to-back rescues, a total of 2,074 people were brought to safety, the coastguard said, a day after a shipwreck left at least 97 migrants feared drowned off Libya.
Six migrants were found dead during the rescue mission, which involved 25 operations off the coast of Libya on Saturday, including Migrant Offshore Aid Station (MOAS), Sea Eye, and SOS Mediterranee, along with the Italian Coast Guard and Jugend Rette.
The Italian coast guard said there were 35 rescue missions during the day on Saturday, with 15 still underway under the night sky.
In the central Mediterranean, MOAS said there had been 2,074 rescues conducted by various search-and-rescue (SAR) assets on Friday, including 134 rescued by the Phoenix.
The humanitarian group MOAS tweeted Sunday that it had helped several hundred migrants in nine rubber dinghies and two wooden boats over a 24-hour period.
The Greek coastguard on Saturday discovered a boat in distress carrying around 40 migrants, including 13 children, between Greece and Italy.
Rescue operations are continuing, but the chances of finding more survivors are slim, reports say. Also around 5 more rubber boats coming northwards in our direction.
According to the International Organisation for Migration, almost 32,000 migrants have arrived in Europe by sea so far this year.
It is understood one dead body was found during the rescue mission.
All the migrants were in good health, according to authorities.
On Tuesday, IOM denounced the existence of real "slave markets" in Libya, where it said migrants were sold for between $200 and $500.
IOM Chief of Mission for Libya Othman Belbeisi commented on this development that "if a migrant is being killed, sometimes it is considered normal and numerous migrants are buried without identification".