OH officer overdoses from powder on shirt after drug arrest

An East Liverpool Police officer while responding to a drug-involved call Friday night accidentally touched Fentanyl and overdosed

Ohio police officer overdoses after drug call

Undercover Officer Chris Green said he started feeling the effects of an overdose after helping arrest two suspects in a traffic stop.

"If he would have been alone, he would have been dead", Lane said.

They allegedly told police that the substance in the auto had been cocaine, but after a field test showed that not to be the case, the men said it was fentanyl.

"He's an ex-MMA fighter, 220 pounds, solid muscle and it overtook him", said Wright.

East Liverpool police were already familiar with the men arrested Friday, shortly before an officer overdosed on residue left over from drugs found in their auto.

Officials reported several piles of white powder throughout the auto.

Just then, one of the officers pointed to a small amount of powder on Green's shirt and he quickly wiped it off with his hand. The paramedics previously called to the station for Buckel began tending to Green, immediately giving him a dose of the opioid antidote Narcan.

Now police officers are taking extra precautions when responding to these calls.

"We have safety goggles so it doesn't absorb through our eyes", Wright said.

The drug epidemic continues to get worse.

"It's very frightening. It's one of the things that keeps me up at night", said Newtown Chief Tom Synan, head of the Hamilton County Heroin Coalition Task Force.

"While handling and processing fentanyl and its analogs, first responders such as law-enforcement personnel, emergency medical services (EMS) and firefighters should wear a. half-mask filtering face-piece respirator", warns the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on its website.

For instance, last fall when three Broward Sheriff's Office K9s got sick when they were exposed to fentanyl while deputies were serving a drug search warrant.

Officer green is expected to recover.

Wright says their department no longer field tests drugs for fear they might inhale a deadly substance. The video was made for law enforcement members as part of an official warning on this drug, which is seen below.

"God was surely looking over me", Green said. "We don't do that anymore because of accidental exposures".

He says they also have Narcan close by at all times, because you never know when you'll need it.

But when he got back to the station, another officer noticed Greene had some of the white powder on his shirt.

"It just dropped him right off", he said.

Latest News