Police identify lone gunman behind Philippine casino attack

"He is heavily indebted due to being hooked in casino gambling according to his immediate family", he added.

The Islamic State militant group claimed responsibility for the rampage early on Friday, but video footage bolstered the government's case that it was a botched robbery by a lone attacker with no known link to terrorism.

In his first remarks on the assault, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said Saturday that the attacker was simply "crazy".

The Philippine police on Sunday identified the lone gunman who attacked a casino in Manila last week.

He owed more than $80,000 Dollars, the local news service reports, "plus an undisclosed amount of non-bank-related debts, due to his gambling problem".

"Carlos, whose total income from 2001 to 2011 grossed P2,460,156.00 was found by the Ombudsman to have purchased, in cold cash, two farm lots in Tanauan City, Batangas for P4,000,000.00 in 2010", it said.

The family admitted Carlos became despondent because of his gambling losses, Albayalde said.

He said terrorism was unlikely because the gunman didn't shoot anybody. He was discharged from his post for issues related to his Statement of Assets, Liabilities, and Net Worth (SALN).

Fears about IS' involvement in the attack were also intensified when the Site Intelligence Group, a US-based organization monitoring extremists' Web sites, said a Filipino ISIS operative "identified the alleged attacker and noted that his main objective was to burn the casino inside".

"He could have shot everybody there", Albayalde said. "We mourn with you", Albayalde said. "It's like being addicted to drugs". He exits, pulls the weapon out of his backpack and enters the second-floor casino, bypassing the metal detector. More than 70 others were injured as 1,200 customers and employees fled the hotel in panic.

The police official also said the tall, hooded suspect rode a Toyota Avanza taxicab to Resorts World Manila in Pasay City just across the airport, from the former San Lazaro hippodrome in Manila.

Terror attack or not, Carlos was able to set ablaze enough gambling tables and slot machines to spread fire across the building, killing 38 people in the process due to suffocation.

Security film of the incident released on Saturday showed the gunman calmly and slowly walking through the casino and firing into the air most of the time, apparently as warning shots for people to leave. Police fished a bag stuffed with $2 million in poker chips from a toilet.

Internal security were shown chasing after the suspect, with one security officer managing to shoot the gunman, slowing him down as he climbed a stairwell. Shots were exchanged and the gunman was wounded.

Mr. Carlos burned linen in the corridor.

Latest News