Delta Flight Attendant Breaks Wine Bottle Over Rowdy Passenger's Head During Altercation

Court sketch of Joseph Hudek

Court sketch of Joseph Hudek

Appearing on Friday in the US District Court in Seattle, Joseph Daniel Hudek from Florida, who was travelling on Delta Flight 129 from Seattle to Beijing, faced one count of interference with flight crew members for allegedly assaulting flight attendants.

A passenger attempted to open an exit door during a flight from Seattle to Beijing causing a mid-air incident, The Washington Post reported.

Two hours after takeoff, the plane landed back at the Seattle Tacoma airport at 7.10pm.

A flight attendant asked for assistance from other passengers and notified the cockpit of the situation, and the pilot made a decision to divert the flight back to Seattle.

When he came out again two minutes later, he suddenly lunged for the exit door, grabbed the handle and tried to open it, Highley wrote.

Highley wrote that one flight attendant then hit Hudek over the head with two wine bottles.

When he lunged for the emergency exit, a quick-thinking flight attendant broke a wine bottle over his head, but that did not deter him.

It was at this point that one courageous flight attendant decided he'd had enough and grabs two full bottles of wine and hits the enraged Hudek over the head with them. The passengers on Delta Airlines Flight 129 were witness to a similarly stressful situation recently, but this time the whole thing is even more incomprehensible.

Several passengers stepped in to subdue the alleged attacker, Cooper said.

In a statement to CNN, the airline said a passenger was restrained and removed from the flight because of a "security incident" onboard.

The Atlanta-based airline said the flight re-departed for Beijing later on Thursday.

Officials say two people, including the flight attendant, were injured and taken to a hospital. The Times reported that Delta Air Lines' chief operating officer, Gil West, commended the crew "for their fast action in keeping our customers and each other safe in a potentially unsafe situation". However, it could have conceivably been thrown open while the plane was descending, but luckily it did not.

Hudek now faces a felony charge of interfering with a flight crew, which carries a possible sentence of up to 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

He is expected to remain in custody at least until a detention hearing on July 13.

Finally, when Hudek was greatly outnumbered he was subdued and held down in the galley, with his limbs tied down as the attendants attempted to return the exit door lever to its original position.

Latest News