On Thursday, Egypt's Al-Azhar - the world's highest seat of Sunni Islamic learning -issued a statement expressing its "extreme concern" over the "provocative measures" by Israeli forces at Jerusalem's Al-Aqsa Mosque.
Israeli authorities closed the Al-Aqsa compound and canceled weekly Friday prayers for the first time in almost five decades following a shootout that killed three Palestinians and two Israeli policemen near the holy site in East Jerusalem.
Muslim men under the age of 50 were not allowed access on Friday to a contested Jerusalem holy site where the mosque is located, inside the Old City. The attacker was reportedly shot by a neighbor; his condition is unclear.
Humanitarian organisation Palestinian Red Crescent told Ma'an, a Palestinian news agency, that at least 113 Palestinians had been injured in East Jerusalem and the West Bank.
Palestinian leaders in Jerusalem have called for a "day of rage" this morning as peace talks have broken down, with Israeli forces refusing to remove security from an historic mosque that was closed after gun violence.
Tear gas being fired at protesters on Friday by Israeli forces outside the Old City.
But early Friday, Israel had restricted Muslim access to the shrine area, even setting up checkpoints and turning away Muslim men under the age of 50.
The security measures were brought in after two Israeli policemen were killed in an attack by three Arab gunmen near the shrine.
Israeli police said rioters threw rocks and firebombs and set off fireworks in the direction of the security forces, endangering them.
Clashes also erupted in other parts of East Jerusalem, at the Qalandia checkpoint between Ramallah and Jerusalem, and at the northern entrance of Bethlehem.