Footage emerges of U.S. officer shot at close range

Malcolm Orr fired eight times at a South Carolina police officer last year

Malcolm Orr fired eight times at a South Carolina police officer last year

Officials in South Carolina this week released dramatic glasses cam video from a January 1, 2016 shooting of an Estill, South Carolina police officer.

After a two-day trial, Malcolm Antwan Orr, 29, was found guilty of attempted murder and possession of a weapon for shooting the officer. Orr got the maximum sentence for both charges, 30 years for attempted murder and five years for the weapons charge, according to the 14th Circuit Solicitor's Office.

Smith had been called after a suspect tried to steal food from people on New Year's Day 2016.

Smith, who was wearing glasses that had a camera inside, spotted Orr, who matched the description the store clerk gave him.

Dr. James Dunne, the emergency room physician who treated Smith at Memorial Health Medical Center in Savannah testified that a bullet completely severed a vein in the right side of Smith's neck.

Video recorded from a SC police officer's glasses camera and released to the public on Thursday shows the moment the officer was shot four times.

Almost two years later, Smith testified against Orr in court, according to the 14th Circuit Solicitor's Office. Smith threatens to use his stun gun if Orr does not stop.

As the whole incident is captured on Officer Smith's eyeglass camera, he says to colleagues over the radio: "Tell my family I love them".

The officer's mom, also a police officer, has established a GoFundMe page for her son as he recovers from his injuries. After Smith ordered Orr to stop, Orr fired eight shots.

"Take your hands out of your pocket!" the officer can be heard saying in the footage. His sentence was 35 years in prison. "Oh God, Jesus. You know who shot you, Quincy?"

Smith drops to the ground, the video shows, and runs back to his patrol vehicle to call for help.

His hands can be seen covered in blood as he desperately radios for help, and shortly after he is assisted by a man identifying himself as J Tompkins, who pleads: 'Stay with me'.

Dispatch informs all available units to respond to the area, as Smith tells them he's been hit in the neck. Smith noticed the man had his hands in his pockets and drew his taser.

Latest News