Food poisoning on Tejas Express: IRCTC officer, catering manager suspended

Passengers of Tejas Express hosapitalised

Passengers of Tejas Express hosapitalised

Tejas Expres, 22120, was en route Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus from Karmali when it had to be halted in between at Chiplun to admit the passengers.

MUMBAI: Hit by derailments and the Elphinstone Road stampede, the railways suffered another setback on Sunday with 40 passengers of the premium Goa-to-Mumbai Tejas Express offloaded at Chiplun on Sunday afternoon and rushed to a hospital for suspected food poisoning after meals on-board. Further passengers were admitted in life care hospital for medical assistance. After couple of hours, more passengers complained of similar symptoms, it said. A total of 26 passengers had to be admitted in hospital, including 6 in the Intensive Care Unit, after suffering from food poisoning.While railway authorities would not confirm which food item led to the situation, the problem was reported after passengers were served soup and bread sticks at around 12.30 pm. The 290 passengers on board were served "omelette" and "sheera" in breakfast after the train left Karmali at 9:30am.

At least 26 people aboard the Mumbai-bound Tejas Express from Goa were taken ill after consuming food served by the Railways' catering wing, IRCTC, the Konkan Railway said. "Staff accompanied passengers to hospital", IRCTC tweeted.

The IRCTC had licensed the catering services to J.K. Ghosh company for providing meals on-board Tejas Express. The train was slated to reach Mumbai at 7.45 pm.

"Meanwhile, two groups of passengers, numbering 15, also complained of nausea", he said in New Delhi.

The kitchen, where the food was prepared, was inspected by area officer Madgaon after the incident and samples lifted for testing. Till late evening all the passengers were said to be stable but they were kept under observation at the private hospital, said officials.

Latest News