The license of Max Hospital Shalimar Bagh has been cancelled due to the negligence shown in the case of a newborn baby being erroneously declared dead, Delhi Health Minister Satyendra Jain was quoted as saying on Friday by news agency ANI. The decision comes after the three member panel, set up by the government, has found the hospital guilty of medical negligence.
The action was taken after the victim's family members lodged an FIR against the Max Hospital branch for negligence. The parents alleged the babies were declared dead by the Max Hospital in Shalimar Bagh but they later discovered that the boy was alive.the parents said they were told by the hospital that both the babies were stillborn.
Jain, who ordered the probe on December 1, assured last week of taking "strictest action" against the upscale private hospital after the enquiry committee submitted its preliminary report. This is not the hospital's only mistake.
A relative of a patient admitted in ICU at the hospital said: "No direction has been given to shift patients".
"When we opened the bag, we found the boy breathing. We won't hesitate to take strongest action in such cases", said Kejriwal.
The parents were on their way to a cremation ground when they noticed "some movements" inside one of the polythene bags that the hospital gave them with the babies' bodies.
"We will also hold a candlelight vigil to raise awareness about safety of newborns tomorrow", Kumar said. "This will compound the shortage of hospital facilities in the national capital", the Max Healthcare authorities said.
According to the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) of the Delhi government's heath department, the licence has been cancelled till further orders.
The story came to light after the friend of the child's father tweeted the incident with the exorbitant bill.