Police make arrest in Missing child case

Mother's boyfriend is arrested in connection to disappearance of 3-year-old Mariah Woods and police believe she is dead

Police make arrest in Missing child case

A missing 3-year-old North Carolina girl is believed to be dead and her mother's boyfriend has been arrested in connection to the disappearance that prompted an Amber Alert earlier this week.

The FBI, which was also at the news conference, said that two areas in Pender County were now part of the focus of the search.

Photos of Mariah Kay Woods. "We have got to bring her home", Miller said.

There is no indication as yet that Mariah's body has been found but police believe she is deceased. Kimrey went before a state magistrate and has been charged with Concealing of Death, Obstruction of Justice, 2nd Degree Burglary, Felony Larceny, and Possession of Stolen Property.

The statement says investigators think the girl is dead, but didn't say how she might have been killed.

Her mother told investigators she last saw Mariah Sunday, and Kimrey saw her later that night. The warrant states that he obstructed justice by "removing Mariah Woods body from the scene of her death and did hide Mariah Woods death and body, knowing that Mariah Woods died from unnatural causes". Authorities are searching for her body.

At 2.30am WCTI12.com announced that Earl Kimrey had been taken into custody and charged for concealing a death and the obstruction of justice.

He is being held on $1,010,000 bond.

FBI Special Agent-in-Charge Stanley Meador said authorities spent days searching by foot, boat and in the water for any leads.

The search was organized in connection with the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children. The search for Mariah entered a fifth day Friday.

"We all hoped and prayed to find her alive". She has been missing from her home since Monday.

The FBI released this photo of Mariah Woods, who was reporting missing on November 27, 2017. "This is my angel", the mother said.

The FBI estimates that 600 people turned out to join the search for a missing North Carolina child, and some had to be turned away. Meador said they also sifted through roughly 95,000 pounds of trash by hand for evidence, and some "items of interest" were sent to the Marine Corps Base at Quantico for testing.

Latest News