Canberrans warned to throw out rockmelon after two deaths from listeriosis outbreak

Listeria Outbreak Linked to Rockmelons

Two dead after eating listeria-infected rockmelon

"Tragically, one of these cases has died", Dr Sutton said.

Rockmelons and watermelons have been repeatedly linked to previous cases of listeria, including an outbreak that killed 33 Americans in 2011. Subsequent testing has linked them to the outbreak strain.

Australian Melon Association's Dianne Fullelove said the grower was devastated and would need to meet the requirements set by the NSW Food Authority before resuming production.

ABC News reports that two victims in NSW died after consuming rockmelon containing a bacteria called listeria.

Canberrans warned to throw rockmelon away following a serious listeriosis outbreak.

Victoria's deputy chief health officer said five Victorians had been infected, and that one of those people had died after being hospitalised.

But the infection is particularly unsafe to people with compromised immune systems such as the elderly, pregnant women and people with underlying health conditions such as cancer, diabetes, heart and kidney disease. In many cases, it travels around the environment without causing any harm, but it has proven to be deadly for these members of the public.

Listeriosis is a rare illness caused by eating food contaminated with the listeria bacteria, which is common in some raw foods.

All states and territories around the country are working together to minimise the impact of the outbreak.

The Victorian cases ages range from 65 to 88 and include three men and two women.

Listeriosis is an extremely serious and potentially life threatening condition and those who have consumed rockmelon between January 17 and February 9 and are feeling flu-like symptoms paired with diarrhoea are being urged to consult their doctor.

The symptoms include fever, muscle aches, headache, stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance and convulsions.

Before the results, Mrs Booth believed listeria bacteria took six to eight weeks to show symptoms, but she had eaten rockmelon just 24 hours earlier and believes it may have been the source of the bacteria even though she knew the supplier had followed safe food handling. If you show any symptoms, the NSW Food Authority is warning people to seek medical help as soon as possible.

The outbreak has been traced to a farm at Nericon, near Griffith in the Riverina in NSW.

Have you had to throw out any rock melon?


Latest News