Macron says has 'proof' of Syrian chemical attack, vows response

Emmanuel Macron

EU Parliament Emmanuel Macron was challenged to offer citizens a Frexit referendum vote

According to news agency Reuters, France President Emmanuel Macron has said "We have proof that last week, now 10 days ago, that chemical weapons were used, at least with chlorine, and that they were used by the regime of (President) Bashar al-Assad", Macron said, without giving details on the evidence or how it was acquired. He didn't elaborate on exactly what that proof is. It prompted worldwide condemnation and the promise of action in response from U.S. President Donald Trump and Macron.

President Trump has sent mixed messages on the US response, warning Russian Federation in a tweet Wednesday to "get ready" for USA missile strikes in Syria in retaliation for the attack.

It was reported on Tuesday that Trump was expected to make a decision by that evening on the action the United States military will take against the suspected chemical attack in Syria. "Could be very soon or not so soon at all", he added.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov cautioned against "any steps which could lead to an escalation of tensions".

France wants to remove the Syrian regime's chemical weapons capabilities, Macron said.

"Germany will not take part in possible military action, on which no decisions have yet been taken", she told a press conference alongside Danish Prime Minister Lars Lokke Rasmussen.

May recalled the ministers from their Easter holiday for the meeting at 3:30pm in Downing Street to discuss Britain's response to what she has cast as a barbaric attack that can not go unchallenged.

"Of course, the chemical attack is what pushed us to agree" to a withdrawal from Douma, said high-ranking Jaish al-Islam member Yasser Dalwan. "Our teams work closely together", he said.

The Russian military said Thursday that the Syrian government is now in full control of the town, once held by rebels opposing Syrian President Bashar Assad.

Since Saturday, several thousand rebels and civilians have left Douma for opposition-held territory in the north of Syria. The Syrian government has denied the allegations.

Douma was the last major rebel stronghold near Damascus.

Latest News