Syrian air defences respond to missile attack on two airbases

Syrian air defences respond to missile attack on two airbases

Syrian air defences respond to missile attack on two airbases

Syrian state news agency SANA cited a military source as saying a number of air defense missiles had been fired but no foreign attack had taken place.

Syrian media and locals reported air strikes and Syrian air defense launching rockets in response in the early hours of Tuesday.

Both the United States and Israel appeared to deny involvement in last night's incident.

The fresh attack comes as the US, France, and Britain launched a missile strike on Syrian military positions in the capital Damascus and in Homs last Saturday over the same allegations of chemical weapons' use by the Syrian government forces.

Syria has strongly rejected the allegations as fabrication.

Syrian state-run television reported early Tuesday that Syrian air defenses have faced a new "aggression" more than Homs, however, failed to say who carried from the air strikes.

According to the Pentagon, US intelligence had established that the base was the launchpad for the alleged chemical attack.

Meanwhile, the Syrian state TV aired still image of what it said was the air defences intercepting the missiles.

On Monday Hezbollah's Deputy Secretary General Naim Qassem warned that Iran and Israel are nearing open war as tensions are very high in Syria. That was the same airbase the USA struck in 2017 in response to a chemical weapons attack at Khan Sheikhoun.

The Pentagon's spokesman said that there was no USA military activity in the region at the time when Syria shot down enemy missiles.

Also friendly governments of this country, such as Russia, Iran, Venezuela, Bolivia, and Cuba, and social movements raised their voices of condemnation against Washington's unilateral military actions, which violate the principles of worldwide law.

Latest News