Deputies: Florida man strips naked at airport, makes bomb threat

Deputies: Florida man strips naked at airport, makes bomb threat

Deputies: Florida man strips naked at airport, makes bomb threat

A 25-year-old man's bomb threat caused over 200 people's flights to be delayed at Daytona Beach International Airport after he was found naked in a baggage carousel attempting to hitch a ride to the tarmac.

Volusia County deputies say the suspect is in custody.

According to a police report, the man, later identified as John Greenwood, made his way into the baggage carousel area and reportedly began to yell about having explosives.

When deputies caught up to him, they had to deploy a Taser. "I planted a bomb in the bathroom", Chitwood said. Instead of a bomb, the bag he hid in the bathroom held Greenwood's clothing, Chitwood said. The bomb squad determined there was no bomb inside the airport.

The airport was evacuated, but is resuming normal operations.

'Fortunately for us, it was not a bomb, ' Chitwood said.

After searching the restrooms, a deputy found something hidden in some drywall in a bathroom under construction, the sheriff said.

Greenwood didn't immediately respond to commands, so a deputy used a Taser on him, the Sheriff's Office said. "Usually they close a small area if they find (an unattended) bag, but I've never seen them empty out the whole terminal".

Volusia County Sheriff Michael Chitwood said no explosives were found early Friday at the Daytona Beach International Airport.

In this video, the naked man can be heard saying "the place is going to blow up".

I do not. I just want to get out of here, bro.

"What if I pull them out?"

The man faces charges of burglary, false report concerning a bomb, criminal mischief, resisting arrest without violence, exposure of sexual organs and unlawful posession of someone else's identificaiton.

Two flights were delayed, according to the airport's schedule: an American Airlines flight to Charlotte was postponed an hour and a Delta flight to Atlanta scheduled for departure at 7:10 a.m. was pushed back almost three hours.

The man has at least twice before been taken into involuntary custody under the states Baker Act for mental evaluation, the Chitwood said.

Latest News