Gennady Golovkin Stripped of IBF Middleweight Title for Vanes Martirosyan Fight

Following Gennady Golovkin being stripped of the IBF middleweight title, two of the top contenders being considered for the now vacant title are Sergiy Derevyanchenko (mandatory challenger) and Daniel Jacobs (ranked 3rd in the IBF).

The Springfield, New Jersey-based sanctioning organization ruled to take Golovkin's 160-pound championship from him because Golovkin didn't adhere to the stipulations of the exception the IBF granted before he fought Vanes Martirosyan on May 5 in Carson, California. With Golovkin no longer having to worry about defending his IBF belt, there are still a number of potential challengers for him.

Golovkin - who boasts a 38-0 record with 34 knockouts - had a hearing late last month over not agreeing to the mandatory fight.

Golovkin's promoter Tom Loeffler said that the ruling was a complete shock and it is far beyond what the Derevyanchenko side was asking for.

Alvarez is a primary reason Golovkin fought Martirosyan in the first place.

Although Golovkin's goal has always been to join Bernard Hopkins and Jermain Taylor as the only fighters in middleweight history to hold all four recognized titles at the same time, the timing of his mandated fight against the high-risk, low-reward Derevyanchenko clashed with his hopes of securing a September pay-per-view rematch with Alvarez.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya said negotiations for the September bout were dead in the water on Tuesday - after Golovkin refused to back away from demanding a 50-50 split of the money.

"Gennady is disappointed in the ruling". The Mexican superstar's suspension should end after August 17 because it is retroactive to the date of the first of Alvarez's two positive tests for clenbuterol (February 17).

It had appeared that a rescheduling of the clash was completely off the cards although it may now be a possibility as the former is willing to drop his fight purse demands.

Latest News