Sarasota man dies from flesh-eating bacteria after eating raw oysters

Florida resident dies from bacterial infection after eating oyster

Man dies after eating raw oyster, Florida Health said

In Florida, 71-year-old man ate raw oysters and 2 days later died from a flesh-eating bacteria. "We have an individual that consumed some raw oysters and to the best of our knowledge had no exposure to salt water, became severely ill, and passed away", Michael Drennon, Disease Intervention Services Program Manager at the Sarasota County Health Dept., told WTVT. While infections are rare, people can contract the bacteria by eating contaminated raw shellfish, or by exposing open wounds such as cuts or scrapes to water.

Vibrio vulnificus bacteria are typically found in salt water and in raw or undercooked shellfish, notes the Florida Department of Health.

Vibrio can cause a skin infection when an open wound is exposed to brackish water - a mixture of fresh and sea water - where the bacteria thrives.

Though sometimes labeled a "flesh-eating" bacteria, Vibrio vulnificus can not attack healthy skin, the Sun-Sentinel reported.

According to the CDC, Vibrio is a bacteria that commonly lives in coastal waters.

For people with serious vibriosis, antibiotics can treat some cases. In this particular case, the infection with this pathogen has resulted in severe gastrointestinal symptoms that eventually led to death. Vibrio Vulnificus can't be seen, smelled, or even taste it. In 2017, there were two cases and also no fatalities.

Eating seafood or taking a swim in the water may seem like an essential summertime pastime, but you should be careful of the bacteria Vibrio vulnificus, which pops up more with the heat.

Health officials advise those with weakened immune systems to wear proper foot protection to prevent cuts and injury caused by rocks and shells on the beach. During that time there were at least 72 infections, mostly caused by eating raw oysters, and 36 deaths. "Three of them ended with a lethal outcome", - told in the state Department of health. "You need to have high, sustained temperatures to kill the organism".

Latest News