Weymouth shaken after police officer and resident were both shot and killed

Weymouth Police Officer Michael Chesna was killed one day before the sixth anniversary of his hiring by the department

Police Officer Attacked with Rock Then Shot and Killed with His Own Gun Gary Higgins The Quincy Patriot Ledger via AP 15 Jul 2018

A MA man suspected of killing a police officer and a bystander with the officer's pistol will not be formally charged on Monday because he is still recovering from wounds sustained during a gunfight with police, officials said.

An elderly woman was also killed by a stray bullet, after Lopes opened fire while fleeing police.

Lopes then fled and fired more shots during a chase. After Chesna fell, Lopes allegedly took the police officer's gun and shot him several times in the head and chest.

Massachusetts State Police Colonel Kerry Gilpin offered her condolences for the "horrific crimes", and said the State Police Crime Lab "will work tirelessly alongside District Attorney Morrissey and the Weymouth Police Department to speak for those two victims by holding the defendant accountable".

Authorities said Michael Chesna, 42, was fatally shot while attempting to arrest a suspect, identified as 20-year-old Emanuel Lopes around 7:30 a.m. "We very much appreciated his service to the Weymouth Police Department", said Grimes. At that point, Chesna was struck in the head with a large rock and his firearm was taken from him.

Tragedy struck the South Shore of MA on Sunday when a police officer and innocent bystander were killed in Weymouth.

Mourners placed bouquets by the Weymouth Police Headquarters, which is now draped in black bunting.

WBTS-TV said Chesna was a five-year veteran for the police department and leaves behind a wife and two small children.

"I hired Mike Chesna six years ago tomorrow", Grimes said.

An image made from aerial video shows police officers saluting the casket containing the remains of Police Officer Michael Chesna as it departs the Boston Medical Examiner's office to be taken to a funeral home in Boston, July 16, 2018.

The Norfolk District Attorney's Office says it can not release more information on the suspect's 'past court involvement ' prior to court Monday.

Latest News