At least 4 dead in New Brunswick shooting this morning

At least 4 dead in New Brunswick shooting this morning

At least 4 dead in New Brunswick shooting this morning

The mass shooting is the second in the province in recent years, and comes only weeks after a man opened fire on July 22 in a bustling Toronto district, killing an 18-year-old woman and a 10-year-old girl while wounding 13 other people. Then I heard another sound that had a different pitch to it.

Residents in the quiet Fredericton, N.B., neighbourhood where four people were shot dead on Friday morning have described the chaotic scene.

In Fredericton, a city of about 60,000 residents, people said they were stunned by the scene, which occurred as people were heading to work or dropping children at a day care centre not far from the apartment complex where the shooting took place. "Make sure the door is locked and don't go to the door, not matter who is at the door". "I'm on my floor", he said.

Various nearby businesses, including employees at a local Tim Horton's, locked their doors and were not allowing patrons to enter their facility Friday morning.

Burns had served with the Fredericton police force for two years, as well as an auxiliary officer for two years prior. It's unclear at this time if there are more suspects.

In an online video posted soon after the shooting, LeBlanc said he was woken by a police officer wondering if he might have been involved in the shooting.

David MacCoubrey was asleep in his apartment on Brookside Drive when three shots echoed through the morning calm mere metres from his bed.

When he looked out his apartment window, he said he saw the body of a man lying in the back parking lot of his building. "I'm anxious for the other people around me".

McLean said Costello had planned to retire in the next six to seven years.

"On behalf of all New Brunswickers, I offer my condolences, thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families".

Fredericton Police are telling people to stay indoors and lock their doors.

UDPATE: At this time we can confirm that we have one suspect in custody.

"They did not think twice about what they had to do to keep their fellow Canadians safe", Trudeau said in a statement.

A vigil was held Friday evening where more than 100 mourners packed into St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church. Three officers were killed.

Latest News