Greg Manteufel lost his limbs after a dog lick lead to a rare blood infection.
Greg Manteufel loves dogs and had been around eight of them about the time he became ill, according to his wife Dawn Manteufel. The disease had made it look as if someone had beat him up with a baseball bat, which had shocked both of them.
Through a blood test, doctors diagnosed Manteufel with an infection caused by Capnocytophaga canimorsus, a bacteria often found in dog and cat saliva.
She told of how it had caused Manteufel's blood pressure to drop dramatically, causing plunging blood circulation to his legs.
Being as positive as they can, Dawn stated they'd rather focus on what her husband has left, than what was taken away. According to a GoFundMe page set up by the family, Manteufel's tissue was severely impacted by the bacteria and sepsis.
A bacteria called Capnocytophaga canimorsus attacked Greg Manteufel quickly and aggressively.
Eventually the limbs started turning black and doctors had to amputate both legs and both arms. "Within days of being admitted to the hospital while still fighting for his life, Greg first lost both feet, after a second surgery to remove more damage on legs, they amputated thru both Knee caps". Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, an infectious disease specialist with Froedtert Hospital and the Medical College of Wisconsin, told the station the infection got into his blood and "triggered a very severe response in his body".
After discovering the Manteufels have a pet dog named Ellie, the medical staff told Dawn that her husband likely was infected after being licked. Over 99 percent of people who have dogs will never have this issue.
"This type of bacteria comes from the saliva of dogs". "People with weakened immune systems include, for example, those who drink alcohol excessively, who have had their spleens removed, and who have HIV infection or cancer". "It's just chance", Munoz-Price said.
The bacteria's transmission can occur through bites, licks or even close proximity to the animals.