Khashoggi case: Donald Trump not satisfied with Saudi explanation

Democratic Rep Accuses Jared Kushner of Being Behind Saudi Journalist’s Death

Congressman Accuses Kushner of Assisting Saudi Killing

October 11: Turkey says it has agreed with Saudi Arabia to form a joint group to shed light on the disappeared journalist's fate.

Saudi Arabia's statement in the early hours of Saturday morning was the result of more than two weeks of global pressure to explain Khashoggi's disappearance, and came after Trump dispatched his secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, to Riyadh to discuss the case.

Ankara said it regarded it as a "debt of honour" to reveal what happened.

"I'm not calling for the overthrow of the regime, because I know it's not possible and is too risky, and there is no one to overthrow the regime", Khashoggi said in the interview.

He also described Prince Mohammed as "an old-fashioned tribal leader" out of touch with Saudi's poor.

Trump has warned there would be "very severe" consequences if Saudi Arabia is behind the disappearance of the journalist, but Pompeo said, "I'm not going to get into what those responses might be".

"He still doesn't see the people".

In a recent off-the-record interview published posthumously by U.S. magazine Newsweek, Khashoggi described the 33-year-old crown prince as "an old-fashioned tribal leader" but said he would have accepted an offer to work as his adviser.

Senior aide to Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman, Saud Al-Qahtani, and deputy intelligence chief Ahmad Al-Assiri were dismissed over the affair.

Le Figaro's diplomatic sources said that the Saudi Allegiance Council, the body in charge of inheritance-related matters, is set to name Prince Khalid bin Salman, MBS's younger and "more predictable" brother, as a replacement for the now unpopular crown prince.

Bin Salman says his kingdom's authorities are in talks with the Turkish government to determine what happen.

Investigators were also still examining traffic records of every auto that went in and out of the Saudi Consulate on Oct.2, the day Khashoggi entered the consulate, the senior official said.

The admission - after persistent claims by the Saudi authorities that Khashoggi had left the consulate alive - came following the threat of United States sanctions.

Amnesty International said the Saudi explanation appeared to be a whitewash of "an appalling assassination".

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: 'We have an ongoing and wide-ranging defence engagement relationship with Saudi Arabia, which has included the provision of training, advice and guidance in the United Kingdom and Saudi Arabia'.

"That is our only hope", he said.

The case of Jamal Khashoggi, a man who was once close to the royal Saudi family before a falling out and a self-imposed exile to the U.S., has gripped the world's attention over the past few days since his disappearance on October 2. The list included "security and privacy researchers, surveillance specialists, policy academics and journalists", a number of which were involved in the Tor project. King Salman, his father, appointed him to lead a committee that will restructure the kingdom's intelligence services after Khashoggi's slaying.

Writing for the Washington Post earlier this year, Khashoggi alleged Qahtani maintained a "blacklist" for writers critical of the kingdom and was known to intimidate them.

Latest News