Had Knight been convicted of murder and attempted murder as originally charged, he faced a life sentence with no eligibility for parole for 25 years.
Suge Knight at his sentencing hearing in L.A. County Superior Court.
Former rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight was sentenced Thursday to 28 years in prison during a Los Angeles court hearing that came almost four years after he killed one man and injured another with his truck outside a Compton burger stand.
Outside court, Carter's widow said, "I really don't want him (Knight) to ever leave jail". Knight's plea, which was unveiled in a Los Angeles courtroom, came just days before he was to stand trial for the death of 55-year-old Terry Carter, who was run down outside an LA restaurant in 2015 following a dispute over the movie "Straight Outta Compton".
Carter's family members, appearing in court for Knight's sentencing, expressed the pain, anger and heartbreak caused them by the fatal encounter outside a burger joint. The incident happened while the Death Row Records co-founder was out on bail in a robbery case.
Knight, 53, had previously plead no contest to voluntary manslaughter charges on September 20 in Los Angeles County Superior Court as part of a deal which saw prosecutors drop murder charges against him. Shakur was in Knight's auto when he was killed in a drive-by attack in Las Vegas in 1996. The onetime college football star and "gangsta" rap pioneer eventually lost control of his label in bankruptcy proceedings.
The video shows Knight backing his pickup truck over one man, Cle "Bone" Sloan, who survived, pulling forward and driving over Sloan again, and then fatally striking Carter before driving off.
Prosecutors said he would have received 11 years in prison for the voluntary manslaughter count, but he had a prior conviction under California's three strike law.
Two other criminal cases that Suge was facing were dismissed at sentencing.