Ronaldo left out of Portugal squad while he fights rape allegation

Cristiano Ronaldo is a face in the crowd at the Juventus Stadium in Turin as his team take on Young Boys

Cristiano Ronaldo is a face in the crowd at the Juventus Stadium in Turin as his team take on Young Boys

Leslie Stovall spoke during a news conference Wednesday, as detailed by ESPN.

On Thursday, Portugal coach Fernando Santos said Ronaldo also will not be called up for the next round of worldwide games in November. The department announced the decision Monday.

In a pair of tweets, Juventus noted Ronaldo's "great professionalism and dedication" in the past few months, while calling out the amount of time since the alleged rape.

Ms Mayorga gave an interview to Germany's Spiegel magazine last week saying she had chose to go public with her allegation in the wake of the MeToo movement.

Der Spiegel first reported it in 2017 without using her name.

Not with lawyers of the accuser, Kathryn Mayorga, making plain their determination not only to push the case but to keep it in the public eye.

The 33-year-old Juventus and Portugal star is the face of many brand campaigns, including for Nike and EA Sports's Federation Internationale de Football Association franchise, and took to Instagram Live on Wednesday to deny the accusations. He then pulled her into a bedroom and raped her as she screamed "no, no, no", the lawsuit said.

Mayorga sued Ronaldo last week in civil court, seeking to void a confidentiality and payoff settlement agreement and claim additional damages.

She was invited to join guests in a hot tub but declined because she did not have a bathing suit, the complaint said. "It's been hard for her, the last eight or nine years have been hard".

The Portuguese footballer has been accused of raping a woman in a United States hotel in 2009 with police in Nevada recently re-opening the investigation into the incident. He was arrested and questioned by Scotland Yard, but the case was dropped over insufficient evidence. "I think she looks at the women who are involved in the #MeToo movement as heroes".

According to TMZ Sports, Cristiano won't be suiting up for Portugal's game against Poland on October 11, or their October 14th matchup against Scotland.

"You'd expect a more nuanced and sensitive approach from such a mega organisation", said one typical tweet, while the player's powerful commercial backers also expressed fears over the allegations.

He was also left out of the squad in September, meaning he has not played for the European champions since their unspectacular appearance at the World Cup in Russian Federation.

Latest News