Texas surf park closes after man dies from rare 'brain-eating amoeba'

Image  Robert Herriman

Image Robert Herriman

Frabrizio Stabile, of Ventor, New Jersey, died on September 21, days after visiting BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort in Waco, Texas.

Mr Parsons said Mr Stabile had been in the park's wave pool.

Fabrizio "Fab" Stabile, 29, of Ventnor, N.J., died September 21 - five days after complaining of a severe, sudden headache.

Stabile was remembered as an avid outdoors lover who loved to surf and snowboard.

Naegleria fowleri is commonly referred to as the "brain-eating amoeba" as it can cause a rare and devastating infection of the brain called primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM).

A New Jersey resident has reportedly been infected by the "brain-eating amoeba", Naegleria fowleri while surfing in a wave pool at BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort in Waco, Texas, according to a Waco Tribune-Herald report.

CDC crews collected water samples, trying to find the source of the contamination.

Naegleria fowleri can not be contracted by swallowing contaminated water, according to the CDC.

Infection typically occurs when people go swimming or diving in warm freshwater places, like lakes and rivers.

CDC spokesperson Candice Burns Hoffmann said that preliminary test results should be ready next week and will provide recommendations to BSR Surf Resort for reducing potential exposures in the future, as reported by the Waco Tribune-Herald.

BSR Cable Park owner Stuart E. Parsons Jr. said the parks' "hearts and prayers" were with the "family, friends and the New Jersey surf community during this hard time".

No other sites tested showed contamination, according to the water system.

Only four people of the 143 infected with the amoeba in the United States between 1962 and 2017 have survived.

Latest News