Netanyahu attempts to calm fears over US-Syria exit

Netanyahu attempts to calm fears over US-Syria exit

Netanyahu attempts to calm fears over US-Syria exit

Dozens of Turkish military vehicles headed on Sunday to frontline areas with the Kurdish militia in northern Syria, in what appeared to be preparations for an anticipated campaign against Kurdish fighters, a war monitor reported.

The US-led coalition of over 70 countries has been carrying out airstrikes in Syria on a regular basis on the pretext of assisting the SDF in its fight against the Daesh terrorist group.

Rami Abdul-Rahman, head of the Observatory, said the Kurdish-led forces may withdraw from eastern Deir al-Zour to protect their areas in the northern countryside of Aleppo on the heels of the Turkish military buildup there.

The news came after Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said he had spoken with Trump by phone on Sunday and "agreed to ensure coordination between their countries' military, diplomatic and other officials".

The military offensives were focused on areas to the west of the Euphrates and Turkey has not gone east of the river, partly to avoid direct confrontation with United States forces. Despite warnings to Washington that it is not rational to fight a terror group using another, the USA opted to continue with the YPG, providing heavy arms to a terrorist group that poses direct threats to Turkey, as the YPG is organically linked to the PKK.

Erdogan, during a speech Friday at the Turkish Exporters Assembly, said U.S.

"These problems, especially during the [former President Barack] Obama era, were left to Trump as a bad legacy, which would have wasted time in a new arrangement".

US President Donald Trump (right) and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu meet at the United Nations General Assembly at UN Headquarters, on September 26, 2018.

" 'We have cleaned it up before and we can clean it now, as long as you give us the necessary logistical support, ' and then they [U.S. troops] started to withdraw", Erdogan added.

As the USA has failed to answer, Trump made a decision to pull out, which led to the resignations of high-level officials in response to the new policy.

"For decades we've been handling this front alone", Eisenkot said. "Now that the Islamic State is reduced to remnants, and local forces are committed to containing them, it is in America's interest to bring our troops home for the holidays".

"The decision to take out the 2,000 American soldiers from Syria will not change our consistent policy", he stated. Officials acknowledge Anglo-French options would be much reduced, if they're unable to call on USA air support, something that the Pentagon has so far not clarified. A recent U.S. report said there were still as many as 14,000 IS militants in Syria and even more in neighbouring Iraq.

Latest News