Ex-boyfriend held in death of woman in suitcase

Ex-boyfriend of suitcase murder victim busted after video catches him using dead woman's ATM card — cops

Valerie Reyes body was found inside a suitcase by highway workers last week in Greenwich Conn

Under questioning by police, da Silva "admitted a role in the death of Valerie Reyes", said Greenwich Police Captain Robert Berry.

Javier de Silva was arrested on February 12, a week after the suitcase was found in Greenwich.

Valerie Reyes, 24, of New Rochelle, was identified as the body found in a suitcase in Greenwich, Conn., police said.

Afterwards, he said he put packing tape over her mouth, bound her legs and hands and put her in a suitcase he later put in his auto. The discovery came after she was reported missing on January 30 by her mother, father and boyfriend, authorities said. When Sanchez asked Reyes if someone had threatened her - and asked about her ex - Reyes said "no", Sanchez told WABC.

Vernon Geberth, a retired NYPD lieutenant-commander, told the Greenwich Time that he believes the killer crossed state lines, that the suitcase killing was "interpersonal", and suggested Reyes knew her killer and that the killing did not appear to be the work of a serial killer.

"I asked her why do you feel this way?"

"At this unimaginably hard time, we are asking for love, support and respect to our family for the loss of my handsome daughter Valerie Reyes who is now resting in heaven", he said. After driving for some time, he abandoned the suitcase in a forest, Da Silva told investigators.

A service is scheduled for Tuesday night in New Rochelle.

Correction: This story has been corrected to show that police in Greenwich announced the arrest but did not make it and to reflect the defendant's name as it is provided in court documents.

"Reyes did tell her mother what turned out to be true: "'I'm afraid someone is going to murder me".

Da Silva - a Venezuelan citizen living illegally in the NY borough of Queens after overstaying his visa - was arrested Monday night.

Of disconcert- the victim's mother Norma Sanchez recalled having a conversation with her daughter the night before she disappeared.

The investigation into Reyes" death is ongoing as Capt. Berry said "there's a lot of loose ends that need to be tied up' during the conference.

Reyes had worked at a Barnes & Noble store in Eastchester, New York, since it opened 2 ½ years ago, according to the bookstore chain. "Was there someone at your house?' Reyes" mother said.

The Connecticut Office of the Chief Medical Examiner has yet to release the autopsy results to rule the cause of death. "And she said, 'No, '" Sanchez said, according to the Journal News. "And she said, 'No, '" Sanchez said.

Latest News