Nintendo has confirmed that the upcoming Mario Kart Tour has been delayed until summer.
Most analysts always thought it was impossible, but even just a few weeks ago Nintendo said they were keeping the target. Originally, the developer had forecast 20 million Switch consoles sold in the financial year that ends March 2019, but now that figure has been lowered to 17 million. But now they've finally given up on it.
As of December 31, 2018, the title has sold 12.08 million units, making it the third best-selling game on the Switch, behind Super Mario Odyssey, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
In their latest quarterly results they've downgraded their target to just 17 million, which they'll easily meet because they're now on 14.49 million.
The previous record-holder was New Super Mario Bros.
It is Nintendo's second big delay in just one week.
Nintendo told us last October that Mario Kart was still on track for an early 2019 release, but the Japanese company today followed up with some disappointing news.
"In the smart-device business, Mario Kart Tour was scheduled to be released this fiscal year, but in order to improve quality of the application and expand the content offerings after launch, the release date has been moved to summer 2019".
So far, we've heard nothing about a new Switch model from Nintendo, but a new report suggests all that speculation might actually be correct.