Prince Philip Surrenders His Driver's License Weeks After Crash

ALASTAIR GRANT  AFP  Getty Images

Prince Philip Surrenders His Driver's License Weeks After Crash

Prince Philip was not injured in a two-car crash.

Prince Philip surrendered his driving licence voluntarily to police on Saturday three weeks after the crash.

The Duke of Edinburgh has made a decision to give up driving and voluntarily surrender his licence to police following a recent crash near Sandringham, Buckingham Palace has announced.

Norfolk Police said in a statement on Saturday the investigation file on the collision "has been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service for their consideration".

It comes after the 97-year-old was involved in a vehicle crash near the Sandringham Estate, where his Land Rover rolled onto its side after colliding with a Ford Kia.

A statement by Norfolk Police confirmed the licence had been handed to officers, and that the case was now being considered by prosecutors.

"I was somewhat shaken after the accident, but I was greatly relieved that none of you were seriously injured", he wrote, mentioning the 28-year-old driver who suffered cuts to her knee and her 9-month-old baby in the backseat, who was uninjured.

Fairweather, who broke her wrist, called for the Duke to be prosecuted if found to be at fault.

Fairweather, who had previously spoken out about how disappointed she was over the lack of an immediate apology, went on to tell the Sunday Mirror how much she appreciated the note.

The same witness said Philip had told police he was "blinded by the sun" when he turned onto the road without seeing the oncoming auto.

This latest development has led to questions about whether elderly drivers should have to surrender their licences at a certain age, or undergo new driving tests.

In a letter to Fairweather dated January 21, he wished her a "speedy recovery" and said he "failed to see the auto coming".

He blamed the low, bright sun for obscuring his vision.

The critics were out again when Philip was photographed two days later driving a replacement Range Rover without a seatbelt.

About 48 hours after the crash he was pictured driving without a seatbelt, prompting criticism.

It said it would forward the licence to Britain's licencing authority, the DVLA.

Latest News