It said that its flights BW 300 (Trinidad to Venezuela) and BW 301 (Venezuela to Trinidad) for Monday "are cancelled" and that "the affected passengers will be accommodated on other services". The country has suspended school and business activities Tuesday as well, Reuters reported.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in an interview on Tuesday with radio show Texas Standard that decisions regarding Venezuela had been affected by the combination of a rapidly deteriorating situation and USA diplomats being "in harm's way". Generators have alleviated conditions for some critically ill.
Maduro's government later retreated and allowed a skeletal staff to remain at the hilltop US Embassy in Caracas as the two countries attempted to negotiate an agreement to allow some sort of representation. Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro condemned this as an attempted coup d'etat. The United States has backed Mr. Guaidó and accused Cuba and Russian Federation of propping up Maduro. He also said two people who were allegedly trying to sabotage power facilities were captured and were providing information to authorities, though he gave no details.
But in a televised address, Mr Maduro blamed the continuing power cuts on foreign sabotage.
Guaido said three of four electricity transformers servicing the area were knocked out.
U.S. President Donald Trump has said "all options are on the table" in his administration's support for Guaido, who says Maduro is an illegitimate leader and must resign so that Venezuela can hold elections. The majority of the country's Internet network remained offline.
The crisis in Venezuela further deteriorated after on January 23, Juan Guaido, Venezuelan opposition leader and parliament speaker, whose appointment to that position had been cancelled by the country's Supreme Court, declared himself interim president at a rally in the country's capital of Caracas.
Maduro's political foes and many specialists believe the nationwide blackout is the result of years of mismanagement, corruption and incompetence.
"The United States' imperialist government ordered this attack", Maduro claimed in his 35-minute speech, only his second significant intervention since the crisis began last week.
Over the fierce objections of Maduro, the Trump administration sent an aid convoy in mid-February, amounting to $20 million in food and medicine-a fraction of the amount that USA -imposed sanctions have cost the country since 2017, contributing to the economic crisis there.