New Zealand gunman described himself as "Scottish, Irish and English"

New Zealand gunman described himself as

New Zealand gunman described himself as "Scottish, Irish and English"

A white Australian right-wing terrorist - named in local media as Brenton Tarrant - livestreamed his sickening shooting spree on Facebook as entered the Al Noor Mosque in Christchurch to kill 41 people as worshippers made their Friday afternoon prayers.

Reports of the attack are conflicting, variously presenting the attacks as taking place at one or two mosques in Christchurch.

Police Commissioner Mike Bush said a man aged in his late 20s had been charged with murder and would appear in Christchurch Court tomorrow.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern: "Many of those who will have been directly affected by this shooting may be migrants to New Zealand".

He added that the Palestinian embassy is liaising with the competent authorities in New Zealand to obtain official information on the Palestinian casualties and follow up on the issue of the conditions of the wounded. "We represent diversity, kindness, compassion, a home for those who share our values, refuge for those who need it".

This type of attack is extremely rare in New Zealand.

"Just heard news of the devastating reports from New Zealand Christchurch", he wrote. Previously, the Aramoana massacre claimed the lives of 13 people in 1990.

AFP confirmed the video was genuine through a digital investigation that included matching screenshots of the mosque taken from the gunman's footage with multiple images available online showing the same areas.

The Prime Minister also offered strong words in defence of a now hurting New Zealand: "This act is not a reflection of who we are as a nation. this isn't who we are".

The deaths occurred at a mosque on Deans Avenue and another on Linwood Avenue. Authorities described it as a "serious ongoing firearms incident". Police have disabled one and are in the process of disabling the other, he said.

Schools have gone into lockdown and people have been urged to stay indoors. "I don't understand how anyone could do this to these people, to anyone". It was later lifted more than four hours later.

Facebook said it had removed the shooter's Facebook and Instagram accounts and deleted the video.

Mr Bush also confirmed police had found improvised explosive devices attached to cars which the defence force had worked to neutralise. "It is clear that this can now only be described as a terrorist attack", she had said.

Latest News