Almost 150 killed in battle for Libya's Tripoli

Gov't forces attack pro Hafter camp in southern Libya

Almost 150 killed in battle for Libya's Tripoli

On a flying visit to Rome to secure more global support, Ahmad Maitig, the deputy prime minister in the Tripoli government, said that if the city fell...

Some 400 Islamic State fighters now detained in Tripoli and in the northwest city of Misrata may take advantage of the turmoil in Libya and flee to Europe, Libya's United Nations backed government's Deputy Premier Ahmed Maitig told the foreign press here on Tuesday.

Earlier this week, the United Nations said the fighting had displaced more than 8,000 people.

In addition to ground fighting, both pro-government forces and Haftar's self-styled Libyan National Army (LNA) carry out daily air raids and accuse each other of targeting civilians.

Field Marshal Haftar, who backs a rival administration in eastern Libya that is refusing to recognise the authority of the UN-backed Tripoli government, has declared that he wants to seize the capital, which is defended by militias.

Forces allied to Tripoli have accused the LNA of firing rockets into residential areas, but the LNA said in a statement it had nothing to with the shelling, and blamed it on a Tripoli-based group.

However, Serraj's internationally-recognised government has managed to bog them down in southern suburbs, thanks largely to armed groups who have rushed to aid them from various western Libyan factions.

A proposed United Nations resolution demands that all parties in Libya immediately de-escalate the fighting and commit to a cease-fire.

The foreign minister of Qatar, which has been supporting the GNA, arrived in Rome on Monday to discuss the situation in Libya with Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte and the state's foreign minister, Enzo Moavero Milanesi. "The UN Security Council has the legal and humanitarian responsibility to consider this criminal responsible of his actions", he said.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has said that serious negotiations on Libya's future can not resume without a ceasefire.

The arms embargo must be implemented "to prevent those countries that have been providing ammunitions and state-of-the-art weapons from continuing to do so", he said.

Qatar's foreign minister has called for an arms embargo against eastern Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar and for his troops to withdraw from areas they have occupied.

Though Haftar presents himself as a champion against what he calls terrorism, opponents cast him as a would-be dictator in the mould of Gaddafi.

Latest News