Tokyo court approves ex-Nissan chief Carlos Ghosn's $4.5m bail

Nissan reportedly rejecting Renault proposal for closer ties - Autoblog

Nissan to reject Renault integration proposal - no to merger, yes to equal capital relationship - report

Carlos Ghosn could walk out of his Tokyo detention centre "as early as Thursday", AFP reports, citing Japanese broadcaster NHK.

Former Nissan Chairman Carlos Ghosn walked out of a Japanese detention center Thursday evening, his head held high, after paying $4.5 million (500 million yen) in bail and winning a court rejection of an appeal from prosecutors.

Prosecutors have argued against his release, saying he may tamper with evidence or influence witnesses.

In principle, the same conditions as those imposed on Ghosn for his first release will remain in place. "We love each other very much, she answered all of the prosecutors' questions in court, and she has done nothing wrong".

He has denied all the charges against him.

Nissan, which is allied with Renault SA of France, has seen sales lag in France and Japan, where Ghosn is widely known. Ghosn was detained for a second time April 4, cutting short nearly a month of freedom after previously paying $9 million in bail.

For its part, Nissan lowered profit forecasts for the fiscal year through March for the second time Wednesday, acknowledging the downward revision reflected the fallout from the Ghosn scandal.

His lawyer Junichiro Hironaka said that these conditions included restrictions on seeing his wife, who prosecutors suspect has made contact with people involved in the case.

Unless re-arrested over further allegations, Ghosn will be free to organise his defence ahead of a possible trial that is likely to take months to prepare.

In the latest indictment, Ghosn is accused of having a Nissan subsidiary in the United Arab Emirates pay a total of $10 million to a distributor in Oman between July 2017 and last July, and having $5 million of that transferred to a savings account at a Lebanese investment firm that Ghosn effectively owns.

The emails indicated a desire to keep the existing structure of the alliance with a "re-balancing of the shareholding" to reduce Renault's 43 percent stake in Nissan, and stated that Nissan's independence "should be respected". Both sides have said that the case is complex.

Nissan declined to comment directly on the emails, while reiterating that misconduct by Ghosn and his former aide, Greg Kelly, is "the sole cause of the chain of events".

There was considerable controversy following his April re-arrest after being granted bail in March.

Ghosn was seemingly aware that he was about to be re-arrested so he pre-recorded a video in which he attacked "backstabbing" Nissan executives of a "plot" against him, as they feared closer ties with French partner Renault.

The latest bail agreement follows $9 million in bail that Ghosn posted for his earlier release.

Latest News