The government has also ordered a probe.
The death toll in Friday's devastating blaze in Surat rose to 23 by Saturday, even as seven students battled for their lives in hospital. Police officials said that the owners of the coaching centre would be charged with culpable homicide. As many as 18 fire tenders took several hours to douse the rising flames in the building.
In August previous year property worth lakhs of rupees were gutted in a major fire mishap at a private coaching centre in Acharya Vihar.
"On Thursday, the department rescued 30 people safely after a major fire broke out on the fifth floor of a building in Nehru Place here".
He said each building of more than 15 metre height must have fire safety arrangements, including a hydrant system, portable fire extinguishers, sprinkler system for basement, hose reel, water pump, overhead and underground water tank, fire safety alarm and sand buckets.
A government official said at least 50 students were in the complex when the fire broke out. "They were students of a coaching institute imparting art and craft training on the third floor of the ill-fated Takshashila Enclave in Sarthana area", he said. The blaze, likely caused due to an electrical short circuit, started between 3.45-4.00 pm local time and spread rapidly, Patel said.
The Fire Department personnel will check fire safety NOCs, equipment installed in the premises and whether the centre has enough well-trained staff to use it in case of emergency, he added.
Thennarasan said the SMC was holding the two officials responsible for leaving out the classes at Takshashila from this fire-safety drive.
Most of the dead were students who had been attending class in the building, according to the spokesman for the office of Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani. One of the three men accused, Bhargav Bhutani, has been detained.
Mourning over the loss of "precious young lives", Sonu Sood expressed his grief on his Twitter handle and wrote, "So sad to hear about the fire tragedy in Surat". Fire officials say that during an inspection in Laxmi Nagar, it was found that only 5-10% of buildings were complying to only half of the norms.
"My thoughts are with bereaved families. May the injured recover quickly, I've asked the Gujarat govt & local authorities to provide all possible assistance to those affected".