"These are isolated incidents and the Dominican Republic is a safe destination". Following a slew of American tourist deaths in resorts throughout the country, the questions began piling up. His death was also ruled to be caused by a heart attack.
"Most people initially thought that it was food poisoning".
Several airlines are responding to growing concerns from customers about travel to the Dominican Republic after at least eight American tourists died in the Caribbean island nation under mysterious circumstances this year.
April 10, 2019: Robert Bell Wallace, 67, of California, became ill nearly immediately after drinking an alcoholic beverage from his in-room minibar at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino resort in Punta Cana - the same hotel as Harrison.
On May 25 of this year, Pennsylvania psychotherapist Miranda Schaup-Werner, 41, collapsed shortly after mixing a drink from the minibar in the Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville in La Romana, where she was celebrating her ninth wedding anniversary. He is the eight tourist to die in the country since previous year but hotels insist there is nothing to fear. Toxicology reports are out in all cases (with the Federal Bureau of Investigation helping).
A MS woman who went on a mother-daughter trip to the Dominican Republic says she fell ill - and, adding insult to injury, was stuck on a miserable return flight filled with passengers suffering from similar symptoms. Her sister, Felecia Nieves, told reporters that she had a drink at her hotel mini-bar, went to bed, and never woke up. Hurlbut Sr.'s cause of death was officially listed as a heart attack, although his son is now suspicious.
By evening he said he still wasn't feeling right. They then found his dead body, lying on the floor. And when it was mentioned that numerous folks had died mysteriously in the DR, Reed said: "The families need answers". And an initial negative result could prompt further analysis.
"We started getting dirty looks, and nobody wanted to help us anymore", Schwander said. "I tend to think it was contaminated water or ice or a chemical they were pouring into the pool every night". Of the 114 people on the trip, 47 got so sick they couldn't leave their hotel rooms. He was found in his hotel room, where he was staying with a friend, TMZ first reported. Visitors from Georgia, Florida, Pennsylvania and NY have also told news outlets that they got sick at resorts in the country between June 2018 and May of this year.
Allen's sister Jamie Reed said she wanted her brother's body returned to the United States for an autopsy, considering the other past deaths in the Dominican Republic. Barbara Corcoran said that her brother "had an existing heart condition", and believed that he died of natural causes. 55-year-old Joseph Allen of New Jersey died last Thursday at the Terra Linda Resort.
The New York Post reported last week that what makes the string of American tourist deaths to this point in the Dominican Republic particularly disturbing is that many appear to follow a similar pattern in that they involve healthy, middle-aged adults who took a drink from their hotel room minibar before suddenly becoming gravely sick. Day also reportedly suffered cerebral edema. Holmes had an enlarged heart and cirrhosis of the liver-both signs of significant pre-existing disease, the Dominican authorities said, and Day also had fluid in her brain.
Hotel Riu Palace Macao said, "We are aware that three guests staying last April at this hotel and coming from the same group ... were attended by a possible case of gastroenteritis in our doctor's office".
"In the last five years, over 30 million tourists have visited the Dominican Republic, but this is the first time the worldwide media report such an alarming situation", Tourism Minister Francisco Javier Garcia said earlier this month.