10-year-old Texas girl contracts brain-eating amoeba while swimming

Avant contracted a rare brain-eating amoeba while swimming in a river and is hospitalized in Texas

Courtesy Avant family 10-year-old Lily Mae Avant contracted a rare brain-eating amoeba while swimming in a river and is hospitalized in Texas

A Texas girl has died after battling a brain-eating amoeba for more than a week, according to her family and school. "And she's stronger than anyone I know". She loved everyone she came in contact with, and we see you all felt that, via news reports or social media.

In a heartbreaking statement, her aunt Loni Yadon told NBC News that the young girl has "changed lives and brought unity to a divided nation". She was given an amoeba-fighting pill called Miltefosine.

Lily Mae Avant, 10, was hospitalised for almost a week in Fort Worth, Texas, after swimming over Labour Day weekend in the Brazos River near Valley Mills, McClatchy news group previously reported.

Inside days of her swim, the Valley Mills Elementary College scholar got here down with a fever and a headache, information station KWTX-TV reported. "The quicker they get treatment, the better". She also appeared to have the symptoms of a common virus, but her condition worsened. She was eyes open, she was there, but she wasn't speaking.

A man swam at a USA water park with his church group.

Lily was then flown to Cook Children's Health Care System in Forth Worth, where a spinal tap revealed she had contracted Naegleriasis, a rare an infection caused by the amoeba. "This campus and community are beyond blessed for the time we shared with our Lily".

A representative with the Texas Department of State Health (TxDSH) tells News 10 the amoeba that caused Lily's illness is present in fresh water across the USA, with no particular body of water presenting a greater risk of infection. The amoeba is very common in natural, unchlorinated bodied across the USA, but it is extremely rare.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that infection usually happens when people go swimming or diving in warm freshwater places. The single-celled organism typically infects swimmers by travelling through the nose and into the brain. The rare infection is caused by the amoeba Naegleria fowleri, which is often dubbed the "brain-eating amoeba" because it targets that part of the body.

You can not get infected from swallowing water contaminated with Naegleria.

Latest News