Yemen's Houthi rebels announced on late Friday that they planned to halt all attacks on Saudi Arabia as part of a peace initiative to end their country's devastating conflict. Saudi officials brought journalists Friday to see the damage done in an attack the USA alleges Iran carried out.
With a 100-mile range, that air defense system was not capable of defending the attack on the facilities approximately 200 miles away that briefly disrupted 5% of the world's oil supply.
The announcement by Mehdi al-Mashat, head of the Huthis' supreme council, came a week after the group claimed responsibility for the September 14 strike that shook global energy markets and significantly raised regional tensions.
"The coalition's naval forces detected an attempt by the Iranbacked terrorist Houthi militia to carry out an act of aggression and terrorism in the southern Red Sea using an unmanned, rigged boat. launched from Hodeidah governorate", Al Maliki said.
Saudi Arabia has led a military coalition fighting the Houthis in Yemen since 2015.
The conflict has killed tens of thousands of people so far and left millions on the brink of starvation. The deployment could further aggravate Iran, which has responded to previous US troop deployments this year with apprehension.
The Houthis claimed that yesterday's attacks chided Saudi Arabia for yesterday's attack, saying that it violated the ceasefire agreement that was signed past year in Sweden. Iran Denies Role in Saudi Attacks in Diplomatic Note to US.
Trump said Friday that during the 2016 presidential campaign, some of his critics warned that he would get the United States into war.
Mr. Trump dispatched Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to Saudi Arabia to coordinate a response to the blitz. Trump says he could have easily ordered military strikes against Iran, but doesn't want to have to do that.
Officials still believe a non-kinetic option is most likely, but CNN has reported that the President will be presented with the option of moving more troops and Patriot missiles to the region. Pressed by reporters about whether the administration was still considering so-called kinetic action, or military strikes, Esper said, "That's not where we are right now". We are at a level of sanction that is far greater than ever before with respect to Iran. The attacks and recriminations are increasing fears of an escalation in the region. "We are after punishment and we will continue until the full destruction of any aggressor".
The Saudi defense ministry said on Wednesday 18 drones and three missiles were fired at Abqaiq, the world's largest oil processing facility.
On Friday, he left the door open for a later military response, saying people thought he would attack Iran "within two seconds" but he has "plenty of time".