Saudi Arabia shows attack site damage as Iran pledges tough defence

16 2015 shows a Saudi F-15 fighter jet

16 2015 shows a Saudi F-15 fighter jet

US officials also quickly came to believe that the attack did not come from Yemen and that Iran was responsible, according to USA officials who briefed reporters.

The rhetoric has raised the risk of an unpredictable escalation in a tinderbox region where Saudi Arabia and Iran are locked in a decades-old struggle for dominance.

Both the Saudis and USA officials have rejected claims from Yemen's Iran-backed Houthi rebels that they were responsible for the attack and instead note satellite pictures indicate the attack came from the north, originating either from Iran or from a vessel in the Persian Gulf.

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Thursday that any United States or Saudi military strike against his country would result in an "all-out war".

"We are working to know the exact launch point" the official stated.

Either way, Saudi oil output is virtually back to pre-attack levels as it is, not even a week later, which gives the appearance this whole thing was being hugely overplayed earlier in the week. At a news conference, a defense ministry official displayed drone and missile debris it said was undeniable evidence of Iranian aggression and identified the drones as Iranian Delta Wing unmanned aerial vehicles.

If the evidence is conclusive that the Iranian government was somehow complicit in the attack, few would dispute that the Saudis have rights under global law to seek retribution and obligations to protect their territory and citizens from future attack.

Speaking in the Oval Office Friday during a meeting with Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison, Trump said: "We have just sanctioned the Iranian national bank".

The United States and Saudi Arabia blames Iran for the assault on Saudi oil facilities.

President Donald Trump says his administration is imposing additional sanctions on Iran following last weekend's attack on Saudi oil facilities, which the administration has blamed on the Islamic Republic.

The US army has announced consultations with the Saudi kingdom on possible means to face current threats in the north of Saudi Arabia, following Saturday's attack against two oil facilities in Buqayq and Khurais.

"We are confident we are going back to the full production we were at before the attack (on Khurais) by the end of September", Fahad Abdulkarim, Aramco's general manager for the southern area oil operation, told reporters.

The UAE, a close ally of Saudi Arabia, has joined the kingdom in its war in Yemen against the Houthis.

After a USA drone was shot down by Iran on June 20, Trump said he called off a retaliatory strike at the last moment, but ordered cyberattacks on Iranian targets, multiple media reported.

Iran has denied involvement and warned the United States that any attack would lead to an "all-out war" with Tehran.

Saudi Arabia is looking for an worldwide coalition to challenge Iran, and is reluctant to act alone, or only in concert with its key Gulf allies.

The Royal Saudi Air Force's warplanes were involved in targeting pro-Iranian army forces in eastern Syria, a Western source told Independent Arabia.

French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian similarly was skeptical of the Houthi claim of responsibility. Turki Al-Malki identified as Iranian weapons collected after the attack.

Associated Press writers David Rising in Berlin, Angela Charlton in Paris, Qassim Abdul-Zahra in Baghdad and Edith M. Lederer at the United Nations contributed.

Latest News