Taliban vows to fight on after Trump says talks are 'dead'

Afghanistan Taliban promises to continue fight against US forces after Trump says ‘talks are dead

Donald Trump. | Ludovic Marin AFP

In the wake of Trump's decision to scrap talks on Saturday, the Taliban said that the cancellation of the talks would "lead to more losses for the United States, "harm [its] credibility" and "show their anti-peace stance in [a] more clear way".

"It is not a satisfactory reason that recent attacks prompted Trump to call off the talks", he said, expressing the hope that the United States would return to the talks.

Unbeknownst to nearly everyone, the major Taliban leaders and, separately, the President of Afghanistan, were going to secretly meet with me at Camp David on Sunday.

Afghanistan's Taliban have condemned US President Donald Trump's decision to suspend peace talks with the group - after they claimed responsibility for an attack in Kabul that killed a US soldier. "While we certainly want that, there is so much more involved in the peace process", said Judd, who lost her partner, Christine Egan, in the attack on the World Trade Center.

The announcement adopted Trump's dramatic cancellation of a top-secret plan to fly Taliban leaders in for direct talks on the Camp David presidential facility outdoors Washington.

The Taliban's assertion got here hours after Mr Trump instructed reporters that the U.S. was strolling away from negotiations after nearly a 12 months of talks that aimed to pave the best way for an American withdrawal from Afghanistan following 18 years of warfare. We have been there for 19 years, and we are now really policemen in Afghanistan, ” he said.

Speaking to reporters at the White House on Monday, Trump said the decision to cancel the meeting was his alone, and he did not discuss it with anyone else.

The cancellation came after the Taliban suicide attack on September 5 in Kabul. About 20,000 American and allied troops remain in Afghanistan, and the Taliban control or hold sway over almost half the country.

The US has taken this step after the Taliban took responsibility for the attack in Kabul last week.

He said that the Taliban made a mistake.

The Taliban warned the move would only hurt the Americans, adding that they'd been happy with the progress made thus far.

"We'd like to get out but we'll get out at the right time", he said. "If you don't talk to them, it's just going to continue". "That's not going to happen".

Three days later, three explosions rocked Kabul, killing dozens of people, including a USA soldier. Several called the timing unfortunate but the idea of talks worthwhile, a potential path toward peace for Afghans and Americans tired of Washington's longest war. At some point in time if you want peace you have to talk to them, I don't deny that, ' said Johnson.

The objective is to make "the Afghan security forces stronger so that they can fight global terrorism and create the conditions for peace", the official said.

"I'm all for some kind of negotiated peace to bring our guys and gals back home, but it has to be the correct type of peace where the Taliban and al-Qaida are told point-blank. any violation at all will be dealt with swiftly and with a lot of strength", said Ielpi, a National Sept. 11 Memorial & Museum board member.

It is widely thought that Trump has been pushing for a withdrawal of United States troops in time for his 2020 reelection bid.

Latest News